|2022 SMART YOGA ONLINE TRAINING COURSE
A professional development course for Alexander teachers and trainees
With David Moore and Caroline Blackshaw.
This online course on applying the Alexander Technique to yoga practice will commence on 2nd February 2022. It offers an approach outlined in David Moore’s Smart Yoga” Apply the Alexander technique to enhance your practice, prevent injury and increase body awareness.
This course follows the just completed course which ran over 2020 – 2021 with participants from Australia, Europe, the UK ,Ireland, India and North America. All participants were either yoga or Alexander teachers and sixteen completed the course.
There are four eight week modules and in order to accommodate as many time zones as possible the Australian time for the classes will be 6 – 7.30am on Wednesday mornings.
Those participating in the course from Melbourne, will have the option of in-person instead of online sessions. We are also be running extra weekend sessions and a residential course which people can also optionally attend.
The fee is $500 per module and we are taking enrolments in this course now.
Here is a review of the course by Kay Cady who is an Alexander teacher from the UK.
Smart Yoga Training Review
Course Philosophy: To enable yoga and the benefits of practising yoga to be accessible to all, not just for those who are very flexible. To ensure the safe practice of Yoga without injury. This has achieved by underpinning the Asanas with Alexander Technique and modifying them to meet individual needs.
Mostly a practical class with opportunity to experiment and share work under the guidance of two inspirational teachers, both experts, in Yoga and Alexander technique: David Moore and Caroline Blackshaw. In addition to a regular weekly class, a comprehensive series of videos supporting learning accompany the 4 modules and are provided on a learning platform called “Thinkific”. Comprehensive resources and booklists provided giving plenty of opportunity provided to explore the philosophies and history of yoga, should you wish to research more in depth. Further links and information are provided regularly for study linked to each session.
Each weekly session is recorded and shared with course members, for review in their own time.
Opportunities and provided to buddy with other course members, for discussion, practice of asanas and to share learning.
One Assessment per module enabling course members to reflect on their learning: 2 reflective accounts following observation of yoga classes; 2 videoed sessions of teaching online, giving feedback to the learner and then reflecting on own practice. All are reviewed by the teachers and constructive feedback given.
The Smart Yoga training has all helped me by:
- Improving personal fitness, strength and mobility.
- Developing better understanding of the anatomy of the body in movement and mapping the body,
- Improving observational skills for assessing clients and providing feedback
- Improving skills in assisting clients with a range of issues, including knee, hips, scoliosis and hypermobility.
- Providing strategies for expectant Mums managing their body during pregnancy.
- Providing opportunities that meets individual needs,
- Practising sequencing and teaching smart yoga to Alexander Technique clients, both adults and children
- Enabling me to make new lasting friendships with buddies who wish to continue practising post course
- Providing helpful and supportive feedback and individualised advice to meet my needs (from both teachers )
For a small extra cost I have had the ability (separate from the course)
- to join regular yoga classes every week run by David and Caroline for general practice
- ability to have 1-1 lessons with Caroline
both of which help reinforce learning and continue to do so.
Kay Cady August 2021